Electrical Fires in the House
How to Prevent Electrical Fires in the Home
Preventing electrical fires in your home is a critical part of protecting your family and belongings. Electrical fires can start quickly and spread easily, so it’s important to know how to prevent them from happening in the first place. Here are some tips for keeping your home safe from electrical fires.
What Causes an Electrical Fire?
Electrical fires are one of the most dangerous and destructive types of fires. They are caused by a range of factors, including faulty electrical wiring, overloaded circuits, and electrical equipment that has been damaged by heat or moisture. In many cases, electrical fires are preventable. For example, if you live in an old house with old electrical wiring, have the wiring checked by a qualified electrician. Be sure to identify and correct any overloaded circuits. Electrical fires can be devastating, but if you take some simple precautions, you can greatly reduce your risk of being affected by an electrical fire.
Inspect Electrical Cords for Damage
Electrical wiring is one of the most common causes of fires in the home. Over time, electrical wires can become frayed or damaged, creating a risk of fire. In addition, old electrical wiring may not be able to handle the current demands of modern appliances and devices. As a result, electrical fires are more likely to occur in older homes with outdated electrical systems.
Another potential cause is electrical outlets that have been overloaded with too many devices. When electrical outlets are overloaded, they can overheat and catch fire. Avoid overloading electrical outlets and be sure to unplug appliances when they are not in use. It is also important to have your home electrical system checked regularly by a qualified electrician.
Keep a Fire Extinguisher in an Accessible Area
A fire extinguisher is a vital piece of safety equipment that everyone should have in their home. It is important to make sure that your fire extinguisher is easily accessible in case of an emergency. The best place to keep your fire extinguisher is near the kitchen, as this is where most fires start. However, you should also keep one in any room where there is a potential fire hazard, such as near a space heater. If a fire does break out, it is important to know how to use a fire extinguisher properly. Aim the nozzle at the
base of the fire and squeeze the handle to release the contents. Use a sweeping motion to put out the flames. If the fire does not extinguish on the first try, evacuate the area immediately and call 911.
Contact SERVPRO for Fire Damage Repair
Having a fire plan in place is crucial in case of an emergency. At SERVPRO of Mandarin, we offer our expertise and training to help you recover from fire damage. With our 24/7 emergency service, we strive to mitigate the disruption and costliness of fire damage. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, contact us today.